Sunday, January 8, 2012

Humility

This cycle our taekwondo tenet is humility.  We say at the end of class, "Humility: I Can Always Do Better."

What does humility mean?

According to Merriam Webster's dictionary, humility is the quality or state of being humble.

Then what is the definition of humble?  Humble is described as being not proud or haughty.  A second definition states, reflecting, expressing, or offered in a spirit of deference or submission.

I look at humility and humbleness as not putting yourself in the "center."  In the taekwondo sense, it is realizing that you can always do better.  You will never be perfect.  There is a humbleness to taekwondo.  When I can't kick as high as I want, I feel humble.  I realize despite trying as hard as I can that there will always be someone who is better than me.  Expressing humility is really about accepting our faults.  It's about taking a step back and realizing that while it is important to look out for yourself, it should never be all consuming.

I have been prideful in my life.  I have felt, before and now, that I'm more important than other people.  Humans by nature look out for themselves first.  But with true humility one must let go of the need want to control others.  They must let go of placing blame on others for their unhappiness.  Basically, humility is about releasing your ego and not judging.  To feel this way would be so freeing.

A certain level of humility can help you learn about your place in the world universe.  Accepting humility can help you become more accepting of other people, and not focused only on other peoples' faults. 

I have a lot to learn about humility.  I've always been a control freak.  I have a learned habit of feeling like I'm better than others: smarter, more grammatically correct (ha! that's for you Hubby), funnier, prettier.  This isn't the way to view the world if you want to feel connected to other people.  Maybe this is the way to view the world if you want power, but having power often puts you in a lonely place.

Since 2012 is the year of goals, I'm adding humility.  I will stop judging others.  I will stop constantly trying to control my environment.  I will let go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Submit ExpressSubmit Express - SEO Services