Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Cross One Off My List

This year, I've been trying to figure out what I want to do with my life.  I guess, one never stops searching for their greater purpose.  My greater purpose is not copying a bunch of papers and preparing board books and sitting in meetings.  The job works for now, but I want more.  I want to be able to go to my job and feel fulfilled and happy when I come home. 

Well, I had a short list of jobs I thought I might possibly like to do.  At the top of this list was of course WRITING, but everyone knows you can't make money writing. Here's the rest of the list: teaching, veterinary medicine, working for a non-profit, lactation consultant, and nursing. 

I'm really too old to go back to school for medicine, so "doctor" didn't come up on my list.  There's no way I would want to spend the next four to eight years in school again, especially with three little ones. 

Well, this week I decided nursing is not for me either.  I don't know why I have such a hard time taking care of other people.  I guess I'm just too selfish.  Hubby has been a GREAT patient, except when he won't listen to me.  Oh, so maybe, not such a great patient.  He has been good about asking me to bring him food and water and other kitchen-related items while I'm in the kitchen.  He won't sit still though.  I attribute this to the fact that he is a natural mover and shaker, and he's trying to quit smoking.  Both making sitting still rather tedious. 

Maybe I'd make a better nurse if I was only nursing people and not responsible for the kids, my job, and cleaning the house.  My house is going to hell in a hand basket.  I need to clean.  The upstairs looks like a tornado went through.  Number One's room is so messy.  He won't ever clean it.  I have about 47 loads of laundry to do.  I need to vacuum.  I need to sweep and mop.  So far, the kitchen has been cleaned every night since Hubby's accident, but not much else. 

Anyway, I'm crossing nursing off the list.  It is not my forte.  Teaching--who knows?  I've been to Elementary School a lot lately, and I know teaching elementary school is not for me.  I've often thought being a high school English teacher would be fun, but I don't know if I could deal with attitude from the kids. 

Lactation Consulting pretty much requires a nursing degree.  You have to have 1000 clinical hours before you can practice, and our market already has a lot of lactation consultants.  When Darling Daughter was born, the LC who came to see me told me only 20% of people leaving the hospital in our town actually nurse.  This percentage astounded me, knowing the benefits of breastfeeding.

Who knows about veterinary medicine.  I still have nightmares about the crazy cat I dipped once...

And non-profits don't pay much...
Still searching.

1 comment:

  1. I would be a terrible nurse as well 
    I get compassion fatigue
    also I empathize too much with other people's pain 

    ReplyDelete

Submit ExpressSubmit Express - SEO Services