Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Weight Loss Tips #16: Motivation!

Did someone say the "M" word?  If you haven't figured it out already, these weight loss tips are just as much of a reminder for me, as they are tips for you.  And lately, I've been having trouble with motivation.  I think it's because I moved away from my routine, in which my daily habits had dug themselves in, and now it's hard to get back to a motivated spot. 

So for today, I thought I'd give you all some great tips to motivate you to exercise and to eat right.  Maybe, I'll follow a few of these myself and get moving.  Packing my bag to run at lunch RIGHT now...(or not exactly right now, because I'm blogging right now but you know what I mean!).



Tips for Motivating Yourself to Exercise: 
  • Time for You:  I'm putting this as # 1 on the list, because for me this is #1.  The #1 reason I want to go for a run is time for myself: not for kids, not to listen to my boss, husband, PTA Mom, Gym Mom, etc.  It's built-in time for myself, where I can go out and listen to music and be by myself, or do a TKD class with friends. 

  • The Way It Makes You Feel:  Every time I ho hum about exercising I forget about how I feel afterwards. I'll be starting a run, and these thoughts cross my mind: "Why the heck am I doing this?  This sucks.  I hate running!," but by the time I finish I always feel refreshed, amazing, and I can't wait to go for another run (OK--to be fair, I can't wait to go when my shin isn't killing me!). 

  • Reward Yourself: Especially when you're first getting started with any exercise regime.  If  you have kids, then you know ALL about the reward system: Sit on the potty and I'll give you a sticker, clean up your room for a week and you'll get an allowance, eat all your vegetables and I'll give you dessert.  Heck, if you have a job you know about rewards: sit in a cubicle for 40 hours a week and you'll get a paycheck!  Often times, when I exercise in the morning I reward myself with my cup of coffee when I get back, or a nap in the afternoon.  Do something to thank yourself for getting up and moving. 

  • Reaching a Goal:  You all know I'm goal oriented, and there is NOTHING better than setting a goal and reaching it.  I'm going to run a 5K.  When I accomplish that goal I know I will feel great.  Goals are motivating.  Set some and motivate yourself!

Now that we have some good ideas for motivating yourself to exercise, what about eating healthy?

  • Partner Up: I've said this about a 100 times, but having an accountability partner helps greatly.  I have one in my good friend, Miranda Grace, and also now in my husband who I've dragged over to the dark side of healthy eating and fitness over the last few years!  Having someone to brag to when you lose weight and to turn to when you have a rotten day helps motivate you.  They can offer encouragement, and in turn you can offer it back to them.  I think having an accountability partner is the single most important motivation factor when you're trying to eat healthy and eat less.

  • Remember What Eating Healthy Feels Like:  If you have taken a binge of unhealthy eating for a day or two years, then try to remember what eating healthy feels like.  Overall, when you cut out the fried food, the overeating, etc. your body will feel so much better.  Try to remember that feeling and strive to feel that way again. 

  • Health Benefits:  Think of the health benefits of eating better.  Living longer, lower cholesterol, healthier teeth and bones.  Use these thoughts to motivate you. 

  • Enjoy a Splurge: In moderation!  Like I've said before, splurging in moderation is okay.  You can have a bowl of ice cream occasionally!  Just don't make it an every night treat. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Submit ExpressSubmit Express - SEO Services