Thursday, March 22, 2012

Earthquakes

I'm listening to "Little Earthquakes" right now, and it seems appropriate to my life.  Tori Amos sings, Doesn't take much to rip us into pieces. My life, this week, has been a series of little earthquakes.  I'm honestly afraid to leave the house today.

The title of my life this week could be, "Things Fall Apart."  (Great book, by the way, by Chinua Achebe). Or maybe Hubby and I stuck somewhere in the book, "A Series of Unfortunate Events."  Apparently, my life could fit into any number of titles.

First, I hit a dog.  Then Hubby ruptures his tendon.  We have (had?) plans this weekend too.  I have plans Friday night with friends, and then Hubby and I were (are?) to attend a wedding downtown, and have a night out on the town.  Now, I will need to be his shoulder to lean on.  I am not good at being the shoulder.  I'm not a particularly good caretaker.  I could never be a nurse.  I don't know what is expected of me.  I'm trying though.

Last night, by the time I arrived home, Hubby had hopped around making himself dinner and was sitting on the couch exhibiting extremely little pain.  I offered to pour him a glass of water, get him anything he needed, and he refused.  Maybe I'm a bad caretaker because he's a bad patient.  He wants to constantly do for other people and himself, and he sometimes can't accept help.

I'm just waiting for the next shoe to fall.  We seem to be in a downward spiral.  I'm almost afraid to leave my house today.

Hubby slipped into bed last night.  Neither one of us could sleep.  I had a lot on my mind, and he was in major pain.  He whispered, "I swear, we have the worse luck.  I feel cursed or something."

I feel bad for him.  He was putting himself out there.  He is so introverted, and it takes a lot for him to take that step into friendship.  He had just found this group of soccer guys and was getting to know them, and WHAM!: he's injured for three months. 

I don't believe in luck though.  I believe some things happen for a reason.  I believe other things are spontaneous, just like a dog walking straight into the right tire of your car and slipping under...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks.  We'll get through this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad to hear about your hubby and his injury. Sorry for that dog too.  :(  Guys can be real babies when they're hurt so take that into consideration as you assist with him recovering. Pretend the roles are reversed and treat him as you wish to be treated! When my hubby was recovering from back surgery, it was agonizing for him to watch as I loaded/unloaded groceries (as he watched) and/or what other people were thinking as he watched, lol! Luckily, that didn't last too long. Athletes and soccer players have injuries...this is just a bump in the road and hopefully, your hubby can go watch his friends play to continue the relationship while he gets better.  *hug*

    ReplyDelete

Submit ExpressSubmit Express - SEO Services