Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Alopecia Areata Triggers

Here’s an interesting article promoting flu shots to prevent hair loss from Alopecia Areata:
I get my flu shot every year—I’m anti-trend, so I’m pro-vaccine for me and my family.  I do think that Alopecia Areata is triggered by something, like the flu, or other viral illnesses, but I also think it is genetic.  I think it’s plausible that each one of my brothers and sisters has the gene and that each of my three kids has the gene, but nothing has triggered their immune system to attack their hair follicles.  I think that my kids may pass on the gene to their kids, and their kids may express the gene by losing their hair as a result of a trigger.  Genetics are a crapshoot.  As my kids’ teachers like to say, “You get what you get, and you don’t pitch a fit!” 
I do hope that all the research the scientists are doing on this disease comes to fruition and they can find a cure.  It is particularly hard being a child with Alopecia.  Kids just don’t understand, and they are usually too afraid to ask questions.  This results in a) rumors and b) bullying.  I was the brunt of both of these growing up, and it made me who I am today.  I had to overcome a lot, but it made me more accepting of other peoples’ shortcomings, ideas, skin color, sexuality, religion, political affiliation, and the list could go on and on. 
Sometimes you have to look at what life gives you and learn lessons from it, and I personally think that’s why I was given the gift of Alopecia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Submit ExpressSubmit Express - SEO Services