Monday, April 8, 2013

Spring Has Sprung

I had one of those glorious weekends that you never want to end.  I took off Friday, and I had a day completely to myself.  I read, I went for a run.  I did nothing productive, besides one load of laundry, and then 15 minutes of a board breaking class at Taekwondo.  I soaked in the tub, and I took a nap.  I recharged my batteries.  It was the most wonderful feeling!

On Saturday, our day was full.  We went, along with some friends, for a walk in the Tuskegee National Forest on the Bartram Trail.  We went with the Fresh Air Family for a free talk about the flowers and the trees and the stories that go along with them. Being in the South, most of the anecdotes were Christian, but the trail was beautiful, and we enjoyed it.  I forgot how much I miss being in the woods.  Every time I go for a hike it takes me back to my college days and post college days where I would hike with friends and with Hubby.  After college, Hubby and I would pick a different state park every weekend and go camping and hiking.  We did this for months until he was bitten by a tick and got Lyme disease and decided against it!  I want my kids to have those nature experiences though, and so far they seem to love it, even though I had to lug Darling Daughter most of the way!


Alabama in the Spring time is gorgeous.  Living here, Spring is my favorite season.  Everything blooms with such brilliance you just want to reach out and touch them.  My favorite on this hike were the native azaleas.  They have such a beautiful flower, and I would try to grow these but my Dad says they are hard to germinate.


My sons discovered, with the help of our trail leader, that Shamrock is really tasty.  My oldest is on the lookout for Shamrock every time he leaves the house now.  He almost ate my parent's whole garden full, and he told us yesterday we needed to plant some Shamrock in our backyard. He also successfully pointed out the poison ivy on this trip, so I am content in the knowledge he won't touch it from now on!  Itchy.

We had the most perfect weather.  Sunny, not humid, and highs in the high 70s to low 80s.  There was a slight breeze all weekend, and we spent probably about six hours on Sunday outside at the playground, in the backyard, walking (and I went running).  It was one of those days where you dread coming indoors, and you dread the pinks and purples filling up the sky to indicate the sun going down.  A day you want never to end. 

As we were about to get the kids ready to go to bed last night Number One asked if he could go outside and jump on the trampoline one last time.

I said, "No it's getting dark."

He said, "But this has just been the most perfect day.  I don't want it to end."

Took the words right out of my mouth, kid.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Submit ExpressSubmit Express - SEO Services