Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Weight Loss Tips # 15: Move It to Lose It

These photos are from February 2012.  Time for some new TKD pictures!

I've had a hard weight loss week month.  We have been traveling a lot with Number One's team.  I've been doing a lot of sitting and not as much moving.  This week and last week, I've tried to incorporate exercise and eating right back into my life.  It's hard when you fall off the wagon to get back on, but adding the exercise back in really is a HUGE step for me and usually all the other positive choices follow.

This week, I ran on Saturday then it rained for three days and is still raining, so I didn't run again, BUT I went to Taekwondo on Monday and Tuesday.  My arms sort of feel like they're going to fall off, because our instructor has been push-up happy this week (and crab walk happy, which apparently takes a lot of arm and shoulder strength and makes me feel like I've returned to 1st Grade). 

Does exercise really help you lose weight?  My answer is YES.  Studies vary.  BUT...one thing about exercise is it will make you feel so much better.  You will feel fit, and you will start feeling good about yourself and what you can achieve, and this can help you make other positive changes in your life.  Exercise can help speed up your metabolism.  Exercise can burn off calories.  Also, recently I read those who exercise regularly have an easier time of burning off extra calories when they overeat!

The key to losing weight is using up more energy than you store.  If you add a regular exercise routine to your day, then it's likely with a few diet changes too, that you will start losing weight.  The diet changes are important.  You can't exercise and keep overeating.  You have to overhaul it all, but you can always start with one change and slowly add the others.

In the winter, a lot of people complain they can't exercise, but there are TONS of indoor exercises.  Here's a list:

  • TAEKWONDO: Of course it had to be first on the list, because it's my favorite. 

  • RUNNING: On a treadmill.  I don't like this, so it wouldn't be my first choice. I love running outside.

    
    I'm not doing such a good job blocking here!
  • WALKING: On a treadmill.

  • EXERCISE VIDEOS: Jillian makes a great one, even though you tend to hate her by the end of it, and when she says, "This is only 30 minutes, so you don't get a break." 

  • DANCE: Zumba, Latin Craze, Ballroom Dancing, Ballet--Whatever your cup of tea is, dance is a great way and a FUN way to exercise.

  • INDOOR SOCCER: Soccer involves a lot of running, and it's a great way to burn calories.
 
  • GYM: Go to the gym!  Hope on the Elliptical, use the weight machines, the treadmill.  If you have a good local gym, then sign up. There are some inexpensive gyms out there, without the frills.  Try one today!

  • FENCING: I don't really know anything about fencing (but my niece does).  I hear it's great exercise.

  • INDOOR TENNIS: I don't know if we have any facilities here, but when Hubby and I were living in Maryland there was a great indoor tennis facility.  We used to play USTA doubles there.  So much fun!

  • BOXING

  • EXERCISE BIKE

  • MARTIAL ARTS (of any kind)

  • PILATES

  • YOGA
This is obviously not an all inclusive list, but it may help you to see this and be aware of all the choices you have in being able to exercise indoors this winter. 
 
THE MORE YOU MOVE, THE MORE YOU LOSE!!!
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Submit ExpressSubmit Express - SEO Services