Sunday, February 10, 2013

Disappointment

Yesterday was the day.  The letter came in the mail.  The letter from the magnet program, telling me whether or not Number Two would go there. You can probably tell from the title of this post, that he did not get in.  I'm disappointed, but I know he will do fine at the public school near our house. 

I do worry about him. He has an April birthday, so he won't be 5 until then.  Number One was almost six when he started Kindergarten.  I guess we'll just play it by ear next year, see how K goes, and then decide after K what to do.  I really do love the public elementary near our house.  I just worry about middle and high.

Number Two's a lot like me.  He is laid back.  He's super imaginative.  He can play for hours with his Ninjago guys or in the play kitchen.  He makes up stories.  He has a wonderful sense of humor.  I just hope he didn't get my lack of motivation, but it seems like he did.  My lack of motivation plagued me for years. 




When I was young, I didn't understand why I couldn't pull off all As like my older sister.  I'm thinking now, it probably had something to do with the fact that she actually studied, while I barely cracked a book.  I was absorbed in my own little world, and I see that in Number Two also. 

It's not necessarily a bad thing, but we live in an age and time where schools don't reward imagination.  Schools have less and less play time, less and less music time, less recess, less art and MORE tests.  Tests, Tests, Tests.  Our kids will be good at following the rules and taking tests, but will they be able to creatively solve a problem and think outside of the box?  I think Number Two will be able to because those are his natural abilities.  He'll just need to find a purpose and a goal, and afterall that took me 33 years to realize.  He still has some time at 4. 

3 comments:

  1. You are right about more tests!! I am so surprised even in 1st grade Nicole has so many tests! They call them assessments. Our county has this weird 1-4 rating for report cards instead of S for satisfactory or NS for non-satisfactory in 1st grade..they have those numbers. So the kids take all these assessments and I guess they take the average to get the number for the report card.

    Sorry #2 didn't get in the magnet school! Does #1 go to magnet school? #2 will be just fine! ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. I know he will be fine. Number One doesn't go to magnet. We tested him, and we find out about him around March 8 or so. I'll keep you all informed!

      Delete
  2. Sorry he didn't get in.... :(

    ReplyDelete

Submit ExpressSubmit Express - SEO Services