Sunday, November 11, 2012

The Muse

The Muse has come, sitting in the back of my mind, guiding my writing.  Yesterday I sat, earphones plugged in, and wrote 11 pages quite easily.  I'm just going to write and write and write as the ideas come, and then I'll edit.  I'm not sure this is the best idea, as the editing job will become huge, but when the ideas are flowing like water it is best to scribble them down somewhere.

When I was in high school, I went to Oxford, Mississippi.  I saw Faulkner's house, Rowan Oak. Faulkner is one of my favorite authors.  In his bedroom, he had written chapters of books, thoughts as they came on the walls, needing to release them from his mind so eventually they could make it to paper and then to print.  This image is still imprinted in my mind: he had a need to write.  I have a need to write, and at this point it doesn't matter if I ever get published.  It's just something I need to do.

On Friday, I read a short chap book by Brent Spencer, Dialogue Tips & Traps: A Guide for Fiction Writers.  This extremely short book (50 pages) combines humor and common sense tips on writing effective dialogue.  Some of the pointers are basic, but Brent Spencer gives great examples from authors on what to do and what not to do. 

Next up: On Writing by Stephen King. 

I've always felt like reading a lot is necessary in order to be a good writer.  But, in the past I have mostly read fiction.  Since I've never taken a creative writing class, I think reading some books on writing might give me the necessary tools to be a better writer, and who knows, maybe one day get published. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Submit ExpressSubmit Express - SEO Services