Friday, November 23, 2012

Thankful

Last week I was in a funk.  My parents were not going to be here for Thanksgiving.  My sister had adorable twins (who I can't wait to hold), and my parents were going to stay at her house to lend a hand.  I was feeling selfish and sad, like a small child.  I wanted everything to be the same.  For once in my life, I was not happy with the change in tradition. 

Almost every year at Thanksgiving, we go to my Mom's house.  My whole family comes.  My Mom invites lots of people, and we spend the time talking, laughing, and mostly eating.  I love seeing all my relatives.  I love the festivities and the overload on food.  I love the way my Mom's kitchen smells, conjuring up images from my youth. 

Then Hubby picked up a free turkey from Publix for getting his flu shot.  For some reason, he decided bigger was better and picked up a 16 pound turkey.  He said we'd just have that and some mashed potatoes.  And I said NO.  I said, I'm going to cook.  I'm going to make a Thanksgiving for our children. 

I set the menu, and I cooked and cooked all day long.  We have enough food left over to feed an army, but it was worth it to give my children a Thanksgiving that they will always remember, even if it was just with our small little family.

I pulled out the fine China.  We hadn't used it since Hubby and I moved into our apartment in Gaithersburg, MD, nine years ago.  I made beef bouillabaisse for him, and we ate off the fine China.



I spread out the food on the breakfast room table, and took a photo of all the mountains of food we will be eating over the next few weeks.  (And freezing some too). 



Number One recited his Thankful poem from school, and then we went around the table saying what we were thankful for.

Number One said: I am thankful for all of you. 

Number Two said: I am thankful for this knife.

Darling Daughter said: Food

I said: I am thankful that all of you are here with me now.  I love you, and I can't imagine my life without you.

Hubby said: He was thankful his leg was finally healed.



And then we dug into the mountains of food we had made.  Afterwards we took naps, and then went over to our neighbors' house for dessert, which was amazing and decadent!  I will need to run a lot of miles over the next few days...



I'm thankful this year for my kids, for my Hubby who has put up with a lot from me over this year, for my parents, for my siblings, my nieces and nephews.  I'm thankful I have a job and I can put food on the table to fill my childrens' bellies.  I'm thankful for my Taekwondo friends who keep me going sometimes, when the going gets tough.  I'm thankful for my best friend who is ALWAYS there to listen to me whine and complain about life.  There are too many things to list. 

Let's be thankful every day for what we have. 

2 comments:

  1. I love that you guys were able to change around the holiday into your own family tradition, even if it's just for a year. It's awesome that you brought out the fine china and talked about how thankful you were about your blessings in life. Happy Belated Thanksgiving! You have an awesome family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww Thanks!  We had such a good time.  The kids enjoyed it too!

    ReplyDelete

Submit ExpressSubmit Express - SEO Services