Saturday, December 31, 2011

2012 List of Banished Words

Ha! This is the list of banished words for 2012.  I didn't even know they did this, but it made me laugh out loud!

Here's what I think about the banished words:

Amazing: I was honestly really surprised to see this on the list.  I have no problems with the word amazing.  I guess the banishment comes from frequent use on reality TV shows, which I don't watch.

Baby Bump: This word is being banished for overuse in the actor/actress population.  Honestly, I like this phrase.  I would much rather have someone call my pregnant belly a baby bump than say something like, "Oh my God, you're huge!  Are you sure you're not having twins?"  Yes, people say things like this to pregnant women, all.the.time!  Hearing, "What a cute baby bump," is much more pleasant!

Shared Sacrifice: I agree with banishing this one.  This usually comes out of the mouths of people who don't share or sacrifice anything!

Occupy: I believe in the right to free speech and peaceful protests!  No other comment on this.

Blowback: This just sounds dirty to me. 

Man Cave: Oh, the popular man cave.  We saw a lot of "man caves" when we were house hunting.  Our man cave is currently being used as guest bedroom/storage room.  Sorry Hubster!

The New Normal: I hear this phrase a lot, especially at work.  This is an attempt to get the American public to think that the decline in the economy, the slump in the housing market, the massive unemployment rates are normal, and there's nothing they can do to change it.  But wait...

Pet Parent: Yeah, this needs to be banned.  There's nothing I can't stand more than seeing someone strolling their little dog in a stroller.  Dogs are meant to be walked, people!  They don't need a stroller.  Pet Parent.  I love my cat, but I'm his owner not his parent!

Win the Future: This phrase doesn't even make sense.  You can create your own future by making choices, but you can't "win" the future.

Trickeration: Never heard this word.  I guess it is used in sports.  I defer to Hubby on this one.

Ginormous: I like this word.  My 7 year old uses it a lot.  "Mom, look at this ginormous lollipop I have!"  So, no, I don't think it should be banned!

Thank You In Advance: I use this phrase and so do people I work with.  I actually have no problem with this phrase, though it has been coined condescending.  The way I look at it, anytime you are being thanked is a good thing!  Be gracious people!

2 comments:

  1. Lauren, I actually use New Normal sometimes, in the context of climate change. As in, these weather patterns we are experiencing this year are abnormal. Or perhaps they are the new normal. In this context, I do think it is important because it gives us a very valid framework in which to think about the changes we are seeing. Perhaps they aren't anomalies. But as far as using the phrase to imply there is nothing we can do about current social states, I'm not on board with that.

    Blowback is gross.

    And I have to say, while I don't push my cat and dog around in strollers, I do call these guys my furbabies. I'm single with no kids; I share more of my time with these two than with anyone else in my life. I recognize owner boundaries, but they *are* my family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like "furbabies". I don't like "pet parent." It just seems weird! LOL. And, I'm so glad you don't push your animals in strollers. That always creeps me out.

    I get what you're saying about "new normal," and you have a valid point. I didn't think about it in that context.

    ReplyDelete

Submit ExpressSubmit Express - SEO Services